How to curb kid's potty mouth.

Since it's National Children's Dental Health Month and all, I'd like to say a few words about the part of a 5-yr-old's mouth that doesn't get discussed much: his vocabulary. Come to my house and you will probably hear me say:

"That's a potty word, Luka. You can only say it in the bathroom. If you feel like you really have to say it, go in the bathroom and say it all you want. You can say it really LOUD in there."

The first time I said this to Luka and his friend Luis, they were dressed like Batman and the Red Samurai Power Ranger, respectively. They were running around the house waving light sabers at each other and cursing like drunken sailors. Which, for a 5-yr-old means liberal use of the words poopie head, tooter, and pee-pee face.


They stopped mid-toot.

"Take your potty mouth to the bathroom. Say poopie-head as much as you want in there. Then you can come back out when you're done."

Knowing that little boys are gonna do it anyway, Luis' mom and I had decided that giving them permission to do it and a venue to do it in would take all the glamour out of using the words that they're not allowed to say at school. The words they keep bottled up all day long til they come home and explode them all over us. The words they dream about. It doesn't help that Junie B. Jones uses those words liberally in her books, either. Not to mention Dav Pilkey and Super Diaper Baby. *sigh*

I used to say:


Which garnered me a snarl and a sticking-out-of-the-tongue.

Now, by telling them it's ok, they've actually curbed the potty talk down to a minor infraction every once in awhile. Luka's kindergarten teacher has even picked up this technique after the rash of not-getting-a-sticker-on-your-chart-because-of-potty-language going around.

Mommy vs Potty Mouth? Mommy wins.

Your turn:
Got a funny or crazy parenting tactic you've used to get your kid more motivated to be a human instead of baboon? Commiserate and share it in the CloroxLounge by Social Moms. Check out my trick for getting little boys to brush their teeth. Next I'm tackling "I'm not eating this! It's yucky!" Got any ideas? Help a mommy out.

Mommy's Wish List Disclosure: I was selected by Clorox to participate in this program thru Social Moms. While I have been compensated for my participation in CloroxLounge, my opinions are my own. I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Clorox® blogging program, for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

Subscribe to Mommy's Wish List so you don't miss insider information from brands.
How to curb kid's potty mouth.SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

® Mommy's Wish List, Dine on a Dime, Circular Surfer, Christmas Intelligence, Stalk Market, Shopping Intelligence, Coupon Whereabouts, are trademarks of Wish List Creative 2005 - 2016.

Newspaper subscription Google+