Sage Mushroom Breakfast Bake.

Sage Mushroom Breakfast Bake.

We started Easter Sunday with this delicious brunch casserole. Using the insides of the eggs we made Cascarones with, (plus a few more goodies) we concocted a giant breakfast dish that the Stundins family usually calls "Big Dog" when we have our holiday get-togethers.

I don't know if that's because they all eat it like big dogs, or it's a big dog of a dish, or it's named after all the big dogs that everyone brings to the Stundins family reunions. (You know, the ones we try to keep from eating the Big Dog. And I'm talkin' to you Hercules, Pearl, Duke, Tilia, et al)

But it's really, really good. Especially if you live in Des Moines and can get Taco John's Potato Oles to layer on top of it. But we can't get those here in Texas. *sigh* So I've modified it to items that I had readily in my pantry, freezer, refrigerator, and garden.

In this recipe I used Eggland's Best Eggs for two reasons: they sent me some to try and I'm up for a good recipe challenge, and it is again another attempt to hide more nutrition in the food I'm cooking. Did you know that compared to regular eggs, Eggland's Best Eggs have 10 times more vitamin E, double omega-3’s, twice the vitamin D, 3 times more B12, 25% less saturated fat, and 38% more lutein. That's worth an extra dollar or two, right?

This casserole is SO BIG, we'll be having it for breakfast all week. And I was so excited to be able to use some fresh Sage which we just harvested out of our herb garden yesterday.

You find this and other recipes that I like to call "Gold Plated" on my Gold Plated pinterest board here. This is my board of random solid gold deliciousness.

Sage Mushroom Breakfast Bake (Makes enough for 8 HUGE servings)
1 roll of breakfast sausage (I like the kind with sage flavor)
1 dozen eggs + 4 more (I used Eggland's Best Eggs)
1/4 cup milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used Campbell's)
1/4 teaspoon powdered sage (or cup up a handful of fresh sage leaves)
1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme
1 bag of frozen hash brown shredded potatoes (thawed out)
1 stick of butter
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Lawry's season salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 piece of bread, torn up in to little pieces
PAM (sprayed on your glass baking pan, size around 8 x 12)

Cook sausage according to package directions in a skillet. Chop it up so it looks like ground meat. (I soak up the extra grease with paper towels after it's cooked.)

Preheat your oven. I sprayed the inside of my glass pan with Pam to prevent stuff sticking to the sides.

In a second skillet cook the hash browns with the stick of butter, onion salt, salt, and pepper, until they are golden and a little crispy.

Once the sausage is cooked, dump in the mushroom soup, thyme, and sage. Cook for another 5 minutes. While that's happening, tear up one piece of bread.

Layer the hashbrowns in the whole bottom of your glass pan, and then sprinkle the torn up bread on top of them.

Next, sprinkle your sausage and mushroom soup mixture on top of that, then your shredded cheddar on top of that.

Then whip all 16 eggs together with the milk, and pour it over the whole mixture. Top with the cup of shredded monterey jack cheese. Then, sprinkle the top of everything with the Lawry's seasoned salt.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Take the foil off and bake for another 15 minutes, so it browns a bit on top. We served ours with cut up cherry tomatoes on top, as you can see from the first picture.

I really think the cream of mushroom soup is what makes this taste different and better than other breakfast casseroles I've made. This is my own recipe, but you can find other tasty Eggland's Best Eggs recipes like Breakfast Burritos and Sunny Side Breakfast Pizza on their website here. Eggland's Best Eggs are available at your local grocery store. You can find them on Facebook here, and on twitter here.

Subscribe to Mommy's Wish List and see what other creative stuff my family eats like Spanikopita, Armadillo Potatoes, Crockpot BLTs and Macaroni & Cheese Cupcakes.

Mommy's Wish List Disclosure: Eggland's Best Eggs provided their product, information, and kitchen utensils to my family for recipe development and review.
Sage Mushroom Breakfast Bake.SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend


® Mommy's Wish List, Dine on a Dime, Circular Surfer, Christmas Intelligence, Stalk Market, Shopping Intelligence, Coupon Whereabouts, are trademarks of Wish List Creative 2005 - 2016.

Newspaper subscription Google+