Sunday

Doritos Locos Kale Chips




Long story short, we are signed up to get the quarter share of organic vegetables and fruits from Urban Acres Farmstead in my neighborhood, every Saturday. Usually there are a few things in that bag that I have NO IDEA what they are, nor do I have the desire to figure out what to do with them.

I was raised in Kansas, yo. Vegetable = Potato.

This week, in that bag, we got what I thought was kale. I turned to the experts for confirmation:



Ok, so now I have kale. But I'm not a juicer like Jenny and Crystal... what to do with it?

I did what any self-respecting 25-year veteran of Frito-Lay creative would do. I turned it into a Dorito.

Doritos Locos Kale Chips
Ingredients:
1 Bunch of Kale
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon powdered shaker cheese (that you'd put on spaghetti. we all have this in our fridge, yes?)
1 teaspoon bright orange powdered cheese from a packet of Macaroni and Cheese (you have this too)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Dump all the powdered ingredients and the olive oil into a gallon-sized zipper bag.

Cut up the kale, trimming the spine out, and cutting up the leafy parts into bite sized pieces.

Put the pieces of kale in the zipper bag with all the ingredients. Zip up and shake until all the kale is coated.



Dump out the kale onto a cookie sheet and space the bits out.

Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the kale is starting to brown on the edges and your kitchen smells like Doritos.

They come out crispy like potato chips, and have a savory cheesy flavor. Let them cool and see if your kids will eat them. Mine did. AND IT WAS A LEAFY GREEN VEGETABLE, PEOPLE!

Urban Acres was kinda impressed.



You can find this and other recipes I consider unusual or interesting on my Gold-Plated Recipes Pinterest board. Find awesome snack recipes for the upcoming big game on my Football and Tailgate Recipes board, or my Five Minute Appetizers board.

Subscribe to Mommy's Wish List and see what other creative stuff my family eats like SpanikopitaArmadillo Potatoes, Crock Pot BLTs, and Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes.

Doritos Locos Kale ChipsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

® Mommy's Wish List, Dine on a Dime, Circular Surfer, Christmas Intelligence, Stalk Market, Shopping Intelligence, Coupon Whereabouts, are trademarks of Wish List Creative 2005 - 2016.
 

Newspaper subscription Google+